Sunday, October 26, 2008

A Different Christmas Catalog

While your kids are perusing the toy catalogs as the holidays approach- take the opportunity to ditch the materialism and pull out a different kind of Christmas catalog! I am very fond of Samaritan's Purse and LOVE what they've done for the last two years at Christmas. They have a catalog-style publication of needs for their ministry. There are eight categories and a wide variety of projects to consider and contribute to. I cried as I read over the catalog that just arrived. I have a very special place in my heart for medical missions- so something like this just hits me in my soft spot.

This is really a perfect tool to use with your children to help them see a bigger picture this holiday season. There are things that kids can relate to and pick out to give like sports balls or warm blankets, food or milk, storybooks or Gospel lessons. Let your kids pick out a few things to give to their grandparents or others who really don't need a "gift". Samaritan's Purse will either send you a card to give to the recipient or they'll send it to them directly for you! Let's teach our children how blessed they really are- and help them to look beyond themselves this Christmas. Let's teach them-

"Whatever you did for one of the least of these brothers of mine, you did for Me.' Matthew 25:40

God bless you as you seek to teach your children that God loves others as much as He loves them, help them not be "conformed to the pattern of this world" (Rom 12:2), and keep them from being "polluted by the world" (James 1:27)! (It's so easy for us all to do these things during the holidays!)
~Katherine

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Fabulous idea! It's just the implementation of it that's hard...not for me...or the kids...but for all the rest of our extended family! They just don't see it the same way. I've accepted that and just plan to teach my own children and not changing the rest of my fam. But, I'm all ears if you have any ideas on how to change that (short of sending them to a 3rd world country on a missions trip?) hugs, heidi

Related Posts with Thumbnails